Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Fedora 15, Gnome 3 and closing your laptop's lid...

I upgraded my system today from Fedora 14 to 15 using the preupgrade tool. Everything went VERY smoothly. My nVidia card (Quadro FX 880M) is completely supported with full hardware acceleration, which is awesome!

But the first thing I noticed once I booted into Gnome 3 was that, when I closed my laptop lid, the system went into suspend mode. Not what I want to have happen: unless I'm on battery, I want the system to just blank the screen when I close the lid.

I went into power settings and could not find a setting for what to do when the lid is closed. Something that was very easy to find in past, but now is not obvious.

So a quick google search turned up this solution:

To set the action when the laptop lid is closed, simply enter the following commandline:

gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power lid-close-MODE-action “ACTION

where you replace MODE with either ac or battery depending on which mode you're setting, and replace ACTION with blank, suspend, hibernate or shutdown.