Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Fedora 19: Nouveau Test Day Is The 24th

Having just received a new laptop at work (Lenovo Thinkpad T53), I was eager to load it with Fedora and get to work. But, unfortunately, there's a known bug with the nVidia graphics hardware and the nouveau drivers. If I suspend/resume my laptop, the display most likely comes back as unusable. Not locked up (I can still drop to a tty and do "init 3; init 5; exit" to get to workable desktop.

Definitely not a Good Thing™ since I like to have the laptop suspend when I close the lid to change locations, etc. I don't want to go through the whole shutdown and then startup process each time.

Fortunately, tomorrow is the Fedora 19 Test Day for Nouveau and nVidia graphics hardware! So I downloaded the latest F19 x86_64 LiveCD image, put it on a thumbdrive, and will be doing some testing later today and reporting back my findings.

Not the least of which is this one bug that's got me partially missing my old laptop.