Birthday parties...

Rachel with one of her gifts: "Big Green Lizard"
My daughter, Rachel, turned 5 this weekend. For her birthday we had a part at the Jump Zone! here in town and invited her friends from preschool. They all had a great time jumping, eating cake and all.

Hard to believe it's been five years since she was born. My wife and I had tried so hard for a few years to have a third child. And we were both pretty much discouraged and thought it was never going to happen. Fertility treatments, needles, hoping and never sure what would happen.

It was almost six years ago that we went to Myrtle Beach for vacation and she surprised me with the news. We were floating around the lazy river at our hotel in innertubes when she grabbed my hand and pulled me over to her.

"I'm pregnant."

I was exhilarated!

We waited to tell her parents until we were sure things were okay. When we were convinced, and after we found out we were having a girl (which stunned us both), we broke the news to our family and friends.

Christene told her parents by laying out a onesie on our bed that said "I was worth the wait" and then letting her mother see it during a visit. I first told my buddy Mario after flying up to Philly for Labor Day Weekend.

Damn, five years have passed and it feels like only yesterday. Yet, at the same time, I can't remember what life was like without my Little Sweety Baby.

Daddy loves you, Rachel!

Comments