Joining A New Open Source Project...

Lately I've been feeling the itch to participate in any project that's related to the Gnome desktop. In particular, I've been wanting to work on something that I would use on a regular basis. There are several projects I regularly depend on, such as gedit, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do.

One thing that I definitely depend on to get my work done is background music. I usually put on my headphones, plug them into my phone, and listen to either Howard Stern, my podcasts or music while I get things done.

So last week I decided to check out the gnome-music project and see if I could help out. I joined the #gnome-music channel on freenode and asked how I could help.

The first challenge is going to be to get my laptop ready for development. I use Fedora 18, the currently latest release, as my desktop and even that is a little behind the curve of what's needed for development. But, not to worry! There are ways to address the problem and get what I need to do the work.

Over the next few weeks I'll, hopefully, have some tips and help to post about here as I get involved. My first challenge is to provide a way to access music stored on Google music as well as on OwnDrive.

This is going to be fun!


Comments